Saturday, September 2, 2017

Twin Peaks Freak

Guys, the Twin Peaks: The Return finale is upon us! Are you ready? Because I'm not.


WARNING: this post is spoiler heavy. I won't be discussing things in depth, just highlighting some of my favorite moments. Regardless, there will be spoilers galore. 

I am a true David Lynch fan. At age 12, I snuck into our living room and watched my Mom's VHS copy of Blue Velvet and loved it. I had a crush on the man when I was 14. Mulholland Drive is my favorite movie of all time. And of course, I loved Twin Peaks so very much. 

I was in disbelief when I read that there would be a 3rd season! So many emotions.....
I had no clue what to expect, though I was pretty sure Season 3 would not be a nostalgia laced trip down memory lane. It turns out I was correct in this assumption. 
Twin Peaks: The Return has been a strange journey, that's for sure. I decided to go along for the entire ride and trust where Lynch and Frost were taking us. From the maddening, drawn out questions of "When will Cooper wake up?" "Where is Audrey?", to the WTF moments of the glass box, "Mother", Buella, Tuplas, Woodsmen, Tammy's walk, and Gordon's convulsing French lady friend. Honestly I loved it all, with the most recent episodes being particularly gratifying. So, here are a few of my favorite things from the return.
Dougie Jones/Real Coop...me and Aron strongly relate to Dougie in our older age. 
Scary, sun damaged Evil Coop/Mr. C. I can relate to him as well, as far as the astronomical amount of sun damage my skin has suffered this summer. 
Creation of Bob/The Fireman and Senorita Dido/The Creation of Laura in Epsiode 8.
Ahhh Epsiode 8. I both loved it and was completely baffled by it. I said "What the fuck am I watching?" a minimum of 5 times that night. It frightened me, asked new questions, and made me think. That's what I will miss most about Twin Peaks, how much it makes me think and question, long after the episode is over. 
Without a doubt, my favorite character in The Return is Diane. You thought she was just a tape recorder, a figment of Cooper's imagination? Well, she wasn't, not exactly....
(thank you Game of Nerds for these awesome GIFS!)
Laura Dern's portrayal of Diane was equally cool and heartbreaking. The scene where she interrogated Bad Cooper about what happened the last night they met suggested that he raped her when she believed he was still Good Cooper. 
This is confirmed in the scene from Episode 16, after Cooper orders Diane, via text, to kill Gordon, Tammy, and Albert. She tells them the entire horrible story. She is shaken, begins to tremble,  says's she is not her, she is in the sheriffs station. She draws her gun, and Tammy and Albert shoot her. Instead of collapsing in a bloody heap, she flies(?) toward the ceiling and disappears! She's a ding dang tulpa!
Next thing we know she is in the black lodge, Mike is there, telling her she was manufactured. 
"I know," she says, and her final words are...
She disintegrates into a smoke and turns into a tiny gold seed ball.
I don't care if you're a tulpa, Diane. You're still cool as hell in my book. 
Candie....Candie!!!.. I love you. 
I'll end this post with a thank you to Catherine Coulson, who played Margaret Lanterman, "The Log Lady". Your performance in The Return was transcendent. Thank you for all of the joy that you gave. RIP beautiful soul.

Twin Peaks peeps, brace yourself for the final part of our journey tomorrow night! I have my mini cherry pie and ice cream ready to go. I'll probably be back with a short post of my Twin Peaks fashion/merch in the next week or so. 

Adrienne  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I read every one! If you have a moment, follow my blog as well :)