Sunday, July 18, 2010

Golden Age of Couture

Yes, it has been a while since I blogged. This summer has been full of both work and good times, and I am thankful for both :)


Today Aron took me to see "The Golden Age of Couture" exhibit at the Frist Center in downtown Nashville. It was truly an inspiring look at fashion as an art form, from the 1940s-1950s, with the focus on Christian Dior and his post WWII "New Look". Fashion critics often refer to "the dying" or even "dead" art of couture, which makes me shudder. I know in this economy that purchasing couture clothing is considered beyond decadent (maybe even obscene) but to me couture is art! The craft and skill that it takes to create a couture garment is truly amazing.

In case you haven't noticed I love clothing :) What to wear to this fab exhibit weighed on my mind for a bit. I chose my old Old Navy top, Pure Energy print skirt, bare black sandals from Ross, and my Betseyville leopard bag. Hey, I never said I could afford, or even prefer, high end name brands! Fashion is art, and art shouldn't be founded in snobbery. You should love a Chanel bag because of it's beauty, not because you want to show the world the balance of your bank account.

I would love to be able to mix my $5 Target finds with a Chanel bag, but alas it Chanel is not in my budget, lol. Here is a pic of my outfit, I apologize for the crappy cell phone pic.



Exhibition at the Frist


Walking into the exhibition-Hi Aron! Hee heee



Me posing



The Frist Center is an amazing deco building, that was a post office back in the day. Actually, Aron and I found that there sill is a small post office located downstairs. This is the gorgeous lobby:

The exhibit was amazing and larger than I expected. It was such a thrill to see all of those beautiful creations. So why no pics of the dresses? No photography was allowed. But here is a sweet video about the exhibition. The Frist was the only U.S. location that the exhibition was loaned out to!




It was a great day, and my fabulous hubby was patient enough to attend with me :)

Hugs to all

Adrienne

4 comments:

  1. OMG I wish I had no kids this week LOL I would so go!
    Love the picture of you posing in front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I know about the no pictures thing :( they wouldn't even let my friend take a picture of the floor LOL she liked the floor ;) I only go on free days so hopefully before Sept 12th I'll have some money and can go see this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The First has free days??! I will have to check out when, sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I read every one! If you have a moment, follow my blog as well :)